Are you looking for tips on how to get the most use out of a Silhouette cutting mat? Maybe you’re like me, and rushed to make that first cut, and now your mat is in rough shape! Here are cutting mat tips I wish someone would have shared with me when I started my Cameo crafting journey.
Cutting Mat Tips
- Use Silhouette branded mats to keep your manufactures warranty in tact!
- Keep the blue film that comes with the mat. You can save it as a cover when you’re not using it to keep, dirt, dust, and other mystery items off!
- De Sticky the mat when it’s brand new with a clean cotton cloth by dabbing it all over a few times. This will make removing those first few cuts much easier, and prevent delicate items from tearing.
- When the top half of your mat becomes less sticky from use, rotate it, and cut from the bottom half if your in a pinch.
- Resticky the mat when you need to. Over time the mat will become less sticky, which makes it harder to make those perfect cuts. Instead of buying a brand new mat, you can try restickying your mat. This involves using a crafting spray to lightly coat the mat, allowing it to become sticky again!
- Keep more than one mat on hand. In case of catastrophic mat accident in the middle of the night, which involves a deep cut, that goes a little too deep, or to avoid contaminating every project you ever make after you try glitter card stock. What I mean to say is, if you decide to cut glitter card stock, it will stick to your mat. When you make your next cut, it is possible that some of that glitter transfers to that project no matter what you do…#becauseglitter!
For those of you who are more visual learners here’s a cutting mat tips video! I made for my Cameo Craft Class members! Every month we share tips like this with a community of crafters just like you! You can follow us on Facebook!
I hope these cutting mat tips help you get the most of of your mats! If you have questions shoot us an email at email@example.com!
Here’s a link to the mat, and the spray I use in the video!